Before the busy holiday months, now is the perfect time to reevaluate your homes security from burglaries. Cindy A. Medina, MBA, Security Consultant, with Central Security Group has 10 years experience in the industry. “While, it may be difficult to completely secure a home from burglaries, one can easily take adequate steps to create barriers that deter burglars or make a burglary tough or time-consuming. In other words, invest some time and effort in taking measures that will make possible burglaries difficult,” says Medina.
“Homeowners can begin by looking at their home through the eyes of a potential burglar. In other words, consider the location of the home from various angles,” continues Medina. “Is the home isolated or surrounded by other homes? Does it provide secluded nooks and dark corners for a burglar to hide in or escape from? Is the house adequately lit or relatively dark? Burglars will look at these things when identifying potential targets.”
“All over the country, burglaries are on the rise due to the vulnerability of homes and the easy accessibility that most homes offer to burglars,” states Medina. Several important factors for keeping your home secure and protecting belongings while away on vacation are:
• Homes with sliding glass doors and windows are particularly vulnerable to burglaries. Key-operated pins or grips can be used to secure such doors and windows.
• Homes should always be well lit to create the impression of people within. Leave a light on inside before leaving home or have an automatic timer for the lights.
• Informing close friends or a trusted neighbor and ask them to keep an eye on the house. Notify the local police about your absence,
• Make sure to cancel the newspaper while away.
• Make arrangements for lawn service to continue/come and have mail picked up while away to avoid giving the impression of an empty house.
• All doors and windows should be securely locked before leaving the house.
• Invest in a home alarm system.
For homeowners considering getting an alarm system, the sales person’s liscence/record, including companies worked with, can be verified on the web site of Texas Department of Public Safety and the company’s status with the Better Business Bureau checked. “Systems can be either hardwired or wireless,” explains Medina. “Two major brands installed in new homes and resale homes are Honeywell and DSC systems.” Both systems offer the same benefits needed in a security system but have a different look and feel to the keypad. Discounts vary between 10-20% per insurance company.
Security Group (CSG) has been in business for over 30 years and the company offers their customers free activation. For more information or questions call Cindy A. Medina, MBA, Security Consultant, at 512.584.4529 or email@example.com